Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nadine's Here!

The two essential things I need to take with me to Ireland tomorrow--my umbrella and my camera--I lost today.  Today started as a good day, and went kind of downhill from there.

My friend, Nadine (Mrs. Bay for you Steele kids), arrived yesterday!  Nigel was kind enough to drive all the way to Birmingham to pick her up early in the morning.  He sure has been putting a lot of mileage on his little Ford for these two Americans he just met!  When we got back to the apartment, the three of us had coffee--my not-bad instant coffee--chatting and laughing at Nigel's quirky sense of humor. 

Later Nadine and I were picked up by one of the teachers at my school for lunch at her lovely house which overlooked the Severn Valley.  (Actually, it's her mom's house.  It's pretty typical here that when young people get out of college they return to their parents' home to live for a while in order to save up enough money for a down payment on a house.  There usually is just no other option.  And parents I've met so far seem only too happy to help their grown children.)  We had a nice lunch, talked about school and gardens, and were driven back to the apartment, afterwhich we decided to take the bus to the mall (The Merry Hill Center).  I figured that's one of the places I would need to know how to get to on the bus, so we tried out the route.  It took about 30 minutes, but it was only one bus straight through.  That was good.  We walked through the mall a bit, stopped for a, um . . . typical . . . English supper, I bought myself a backpack for school and shopping, and then we headed back home.

Today I wanted to show Nadine where I would be teaching for the next four months, so we again headed for the bus stop.  While we were waiting, an elderly woman was talking to us about the uncharacteristically frigid winter the area had experienced for the past two years with "Artic" conditions and frozen pipes.  So, my friends and family, I have an image for you to ponder while you are driving in your nice warm cars in the months of October, November and December: me, at the bus stop, teeth chattering, huddled under my umbrella (oh, wait--I lost that . . . more later) at 6:30 in the morning.  Can you hear the violins?  But you know what?  It's still worth it.  This experience of living in another country--not just vacationing in a tourist destination--but living in the authentic culture of another country is worth it.  And I will keep reminding myself of that fact on those cold winter mornings at the bus stop.

Anyway, we made it to the school.  I was proud of myself that I did not get us lost.  My daughter will also be proud of her directionally challenged mom.  We looked at the school building surrounded by woods and wildflowers and a school garden and pond habitat.  We strolled through the quiet little lane next to the school and through the bustling little village of Sedgley.  It was quaint and pretty, and the people seemed friendly.

And this is where the day started to turn.  The stars just moved out of alignment or something.            

We wanted to go to a living history museum that absolutely everyone I've met here has urged me to see.  That part of the day was great, but I left my umbrella in the taxi we took from the last bus stop we were at, and it really looked like rain today, and I really, really am going to need an umbrella while I'm here.  Now  I will have to buy a new one--with very expensive British pounds.  Grrrr!  That was bad-luck-thing number one. 

 Anyway, the museum we went to is called the Black Country Museum, and it's in the town of Dudley.  This area in the West Midlands is called the Black Country because of the grime and smoke from the factories and coal mines during the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.  It's said that Queen Victoria used to pull down the blinds on her carriage when she traveled through the area because of the dirty conditions.  So the marvelous Black Country Museum is a whole little village with actors posing as 19th century characters.  There's an old school house that is said to have been taken down from its original spot, and then erected in its present day location in the museum after workmen numbered each brick so that the school could be resurrected exactly the way it was.  Amazing!  Nadine and I got to sit in the classroom of the school with its long plank benches and desks and be "taught" by the schoolmaster who took us through a typical harsh Victorian school day.  Nadine was naughty and was made to stand before the class while the teacher whacked her hands with his cane.  (Don't worry, kids, it was play acting, and she wasn't really hurt.)  Oh, and we had the best fish and chips at a little chips place on the museum grounds and then went into a sweets shop for some rhubarb candies that were recommended to us called sucks (pronounced "sooks").  It was a great afternoon, though very cloudy and chilly.  Unfortunately, my camera batteries gave out.  Bad-luck-thing number two.

We got back on the bus that took us to the bus station where we would catch our final bus home.  (Again, I was proud of us for figuring out the right buses and routes.)   When we reached the station, we had to cross a road within this huge hub where the buses came and went, and, walking in one direction while looking in another direction, I tripped on something in the road and fell face forward right in the middle of the road with a bus coming toward me.  A little dazed, embarrassed and with a skinned knee, I quickly got up and we found our waiting spot.  Nadine was sweet and attentive; I was mortified.  Bad-luck-thing number three.

We finally got home after a long day and were making plans for our trip to Dublin tomorrow, when I discovered that my camera--my sweet little digital camera that my daughter gave me that I absolutely love--had a jammed lens and was not working.  Going to Dublin, Ireland tomorrow and no camera!  Bad-luck-thing number four. 

Even though I have no umbrella (which you need for Irish weather) and no camera (which you need for Irish scenery), I am so excited to go to Ireland for the first time in my life.  Nadine's first time, too.  We're going to have a fun five-day adventure.  I may end up soaking wet and have no documented proof that I was ever there, but I'm looking forward to it.  Erin go braugh!

1 comment:

  1. Tripped and fell...hope you are OK. Sorry to hear about the camera! Darn it anyway. Can you take the camera to a camera shop and have them check it out?

    Love,
    Mark and Carol

    ReplyDelete